- All High Tech High juniors are required to complete an internship in business or agency. The internship consists of a four-week, full-time immersion at the worksite, concluding with the intern’s Presentation of Learning. Students receive credit for successfully completing their internship and related course work.
- Each student is paired with a workplace mentor who understands and supports the goals of the program. Mentors communicate regularly with the HTH Internship coordinator about student progress, attendance, and project development.
- All interns develop a substantial project (or multiple projects) with the mentor. This project should make a meaningful contribution to the organization.
- Near the end of the internship, each intern gives a Presentation of Learning to a panel of mentors and other site employees. This culminating event celebrates the student’s accomplishments and offers an occasion for reflection and critique.
- The site experience is supported by a class taught at High Tech High North County, in which students prepare for and reflect on their internship experiences. Intern assignments include mentor interviews, photojournalism, creation of an internship portfolio, project proposals, and regular reflection on growth and progress on a blog.
Students & Parents
Internship is one of most exciting and unique aspects of being a High Tech High student! While it takes a lot of preparation to get ready for internship, the benefits pay off exponentially once there. Most students report feeling like a changed person after internship as they got to experience the "real world" for a month.
Students will be guided through the entire internship process by their eleventh and twelfth grade teachers. Teachers will lead workshops throughout the year that will enhance and guide the process. In addition, each student will have a teacher that does site visits and acts as their advisor during their internship experience.
The decision to host a High Tech High intern is a great way to both educate the future workforce and get some help from intelligent and dedicated individuals. Overall, your job as a mentor is to provide an educational and professional environment. Many students will say that what really made their internship was having a good mentor.